Monday, August 27, 2007

Fantasy Football Draft Results

Well the AWFFL Fantasy Football Draft was yesterday. I went into it with much scrutiny from the likes of one, Bradley Hunt. Berated for a trade that involved me picking up two picks for Brandon Jacobs and Roy Williams, I was in the spotlight. Little did he know of my plan....(thank God it worked out).

With my spirits high I walked into the draft with knowledge of a trade that didn't make much sense to anyone. The trade was so lopsided in my favor it was a wonder if it was just whispers, because if it were anything more, it would vanish. Well, to my surprise, and intense skepticism, I made a move for the deal. The Faulkens, who's real name will be withheld, (I wouldn't wish on him the kind of scrutiny he would get, Cubs Style) took notice of my offer, and pondered. Futile attempts were made from the Pick Whores the Crunch. But it wasn't enough. After minutes of calmness, the words came to the mouth of the Faulkens, who were on the clock at this point, "do you want to do it?" . I replied, "yes", and we commenced the transaction. Brilliant.

The deal was this. My 3rd and 6th picks, for his 1st pick, the 1st overall in the draft, and the guarantee at superstar rookie prospect Adrian Peterson. Also included in this deal was the rookie sensation Marques Colston.

Lets look at the facts. I would have never got anything that good for those picks. Even Calvin Johnson is no match for Colston's talents. Adrian Peterson is better then Brandon Jacobs in my opinion. He may not start in the first few games, but he will be the feature back in a run-happy offense by the 5th or 6th week. Needless to say, I raped that trade hard. It was brilliant.

My next picks weren't for a while, 42 and 43 awaited and I was retired to my chair with a cold brew in my hand. Sitting beside Brad proved humorous, and educational. I respect Brad's opinions on football, as i have been away for a few years from the NFL and needed a little help catching up with the draft trash.

Pewp hit the fan early, 4th pick early. The Terriers must have had their tails between their legs for this one, but nonetheless proceeded to trade away Brian Westbrook, top 5 RB when not injured, for Rookie Brandon Jackson. WOW WEE!! Silence and jeers lit up the patio. Food was spit, Beer was sprayed everywhere...well ok, it wasn't that bad. The trade was lopsided, and even when I found out Owens and Santana Moss were also switched, it still didn't make much sense.

The fun didn't stop there either, Picks 6 and 7 brought more raised eyebrows then two blonde's in a electronics shop. For the 6th pick, the already distraught Faulken's chose the Buffalo Bills Defense, a dicey move, considering the talent left on the board at that early stage. The 7th pick was even more interesting as he took the spoiled brat Brady Quinn. Dicey and bold as well, to say the least.

The Crunch then took over, and had too many picks, it was ridiculous. They seemed to be in cahoots with their brother, the Dream team. Trading up and up and up higher, which made no sense, but made me happy because I could get what I wanted.

Since I was unprepared for the draft, I decided I would go check out some stuff while I was waiting for the my picks to come. I figured out bye weeks and such, and left a little present on Duane's chair.

I came back and it was almost my turn to pick. When the time came i picked up my backup QB to relieve me during his bye week. I chose Superbowl flop Rex Grossman. I like this pick though, he has a great match up during that week, and he will learn from his mistakes. With the 43rd I took LenDale White, dicey, but there wasn't much left and he will be splitting carries, and will be a viable replacement during bye weeks.

The party then took a turn for the worst, the Terminators had gotten into the cooler a few too many times. He proceeded to dance and drop a can of an unknown beverage. This was to be expected as before the cooler was cracked, he proceeded to take of his shirt, saying, and I quote, "I'm bringing sexy back." He Failed.

My next picks were 73 and 76. I took the Cardinals D, which were ranked middle of the pack in most Magazines. For my 76 picked i just missed out on D.J. Hackett, but was happy to settle with Bronco's starlet, Brandon Marshall.

I proceeded at this point to pick up scrap picks that moved myself up because people were tapped out. (had not more available spots on their roster) I gained the rights to the 87 and 97 and 100 and 107 picks and picked up Jerry Porter, a good WR and Randy Moss-less, Marcedes Lewis, a decent TE to cover for Ben Watson, and two kickers, Jeff Reed and Lawrence Tynes. Both decent enough, it's kickers, they are spit in the bucket.

My final roster looks like this. And I'm quite happy for a first year team in a keeper league.

Starters

Slot

QB Matt Hasselbeck SEA
RB Adrian Peterson MIN
RB/WR Ladell Betts WAS
WR Marques Colston NO
TE Ben Watson NE
D/ST Minnesota MIN
K Jeff Reed PIT

BENCH

Bench LenDale White RB Ten
Bench Rex Grossman QB Chi
Bench Jerry Porter WR Oak
Bench Cardinals D/ST Ari
Bench Brandon Marshall WR Den
Bench Lawrence Tynes K NYG
Bench Marcedes Lewis TE Jac


All in all it was a great draft, lots of fun. Thanks to Duane and Odette for letting it all happen. Can't wait 'till next years.

2 comments:

Brad said...

First off, you sure did some good analraping at the draft.

Second, Colston is NOT better than Calvin Johnson. Calvin Johnson will be blowing Marques Colston out of the water in a year or two. Johnson is a special talent...there is a reason Colston was a 7th round pick.

Also, I don't think you would have had Johnson at three if the trade wasn't made. I think Faulkens still takes Johnson at one without a trade and you're left with Marshawn Lynch and whomever your favorite WR of Branch/Moss.

But still, that was a boss trade.

Scott said...

Not sure about ur first comment, that remains to be seen.

I like Peterson and Colston over Lynch and Branch/Moss. Seems like a better pairing.