Friday, November 9, 2007

Life Part 2: God and People

After much debate, I will be keeping up the last post that I wrote. To be honest, the post was some brutal honesty that I had to get out, like the title suggests, that is life. And this is what I am writing about. Transparency is huge, and for this I had to be transparent enough to convey the message I was trying to get across. No need to explain more,
I’m always available to chat if you want to know anything further.

Life Part 2 deals with God, and other people. Enjoy.

So I know this family (I won’t put in names, I try to stay away from that now) that are just incredible. I met them through a kid I lead at our youth group. As all relationships, I’m sure it started off slow, and I’m sure they didn’t know what to think of me. I had a lot of opinions, I was 19 and I was entrusted to look after their son. I think that’s a scary proposition for any parent, but who knows, I haven’t a kid in the twinkle of my eye yet. Anyways, over time this relationship grew into what I now view as a great friendship, not only with the youth kid, but his parents, and his other siblings.

There was always something about these people that drew me in, at the time I couldn’t place a finger on it, but it was great. Over time I have figured it out more and more. These people were REAL. So transparent, so lax, it was a great place to be, and still is. As time went on, I got to know them more, and it was apparent that they were more then just the regular people you would meet. They had opinions, they shocked me by their intelligence on issues I only though I cared about. They could hold a conversation, and could even teach me things I was unaware of. These people had something that a lot of people lack, Honesty, transparency and they were just Real. They also had everything I was looking for at the time in people of the church. Conversations that would last for sometimes an hour or two just about life are some of the best experiences I have had.

It’s been almost a couple years now, and things I’ve been through a lot. Support has never been far away however, even when I was in the thick of it at youth and was going through all that, I was supported. It would have been easy for them to just say no to me and their son hanging out and what not, but they seemed to see something I even couldn’t. I have never felt looked down on, or sensed ridicule. For this I am indebted and extremely thankful.

Before I get too carried away, the point I’m trying to make is, some people see through all the crap, and make a decision. Even though I’ve messed up, and will probably do so again, they still loved, supported and were real with me.

God puts people into our lives for whatever reason. I would have never dreamed of meeting such people, but God does that. Its almost as if I was given an outlet, someone who I could also be just as transparent and not be ridiculed or looked down upon (which I know can be hard, I mean come on, its me for goodness sake) But the trust that they have put in me is amazing. God has crazy ways of doing things. I’m just glad to know he was thinking good things when he chose these people. I’m ecstatic about being able to do life with them, I have learned so much, and I hope to continue to grow this friendship and learn more and more.

More people should be this way however, these people reek of what church is supposed to be about, and that’s a compliment. Church to me is about communication, connection, being real, being raw and supporting and loving in a way that resembles Jesus. When you can find church and God in others in a real way, there is no better feeling.

Next time, my views on what church should look like.

No comments: